Monday, October 14, 2013

Enjoy Casual Games in an L2 Class!

Gamification is "the application of game elements in nongaming situations, often to motivate or influence behavior" according to 7 Things You Should Know About Gamification


[http://www.epicwinblog.net]


I believe casual games would benefit language learners in an L2 learning setting because its interesting story and well-designed strategy encourage them to get into the game easily and try to solve the problem in a critical and creative way. During this process, the language learners can learn the language of the game, especially English, that they try to play. 

Actually, I tried to play all the games listed on the The Best "Fun" Online Video Games for English Language Development at least three times each on average. Those are "adventure" and "escape the room" online video games using workthroughs. 

Especially, I think Griswold The Goblin is quite useful for L2 learners to learn English because it provides a audio supported texts about game story and some tips to boost my motivation to complete the mission with an interesting background music. 

During the game, I could hear something the main character Goblin said to my try, and read tips or comments whenever I tried to control Goblin or use the objects I found as I wanted. The input spurred me to get more interested in English the game use and fueled my desire to understand what the game says or what the workthrough reads.

              [http://jayisgames.com]

If this game is used in an L2 classroom, students will actively get self-motivated, and try to clear the mission successfully of Goblin saving the world from the terrible evil. From this experience, the students can learn English with more fun and less seriousness as well as gain problem-solving skills using the given strategic tools.

Meanwhile,teachers would play a role in guiding students in using a walkthrough button if they are having trouble solving the problems, and helping them to understand the English text precisely if they have a new word or phrases in it. 

Also, I think it is a good idea to use images from the game in an L2 classroom. Teachers could show impressive or funny images of the characters or background setting to remind students of the game story text. They must arouse their interest of the English language learning as a good visual tool to boost their motivation for learning. 

 [http://jayisgames.com]

Moreover, I myself could assess whether my learning objectives had been met. Actually, my learning goals were to enjoy learning English with a fun game, and gain a problem-solving skill in a more critical and creative way because I believed critical and creative thinking is very important for language learning. As for the former, I think I did a great job in that I really enjoyed this game and tried to use both the language and game strategies reading the workthrough and menu during the game. In the latter, however, I would not say that I did quite well because I had difficulty finding a good and creative way to make Goblin get to the Goblin city getting obstacles out of the way, and also spent much time doing it.

All in all, I think I had a new experience to take advantage of various casual games I have never done before. I could also learn applying these games to an L2 classroom could be beneficial for students to learn major English skills focusing on reading and listening in an audio and visual online setting with more fun.       

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you played so many games. Now you have a good background to decide which ones or which types you would consider most useful for teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete