Monday, September 23, 2013

Social Bookmarking: Diigo vs. Curating: Scoop.it.

I had a great experience to use social bookmarking multi-tool Diigo and curating tool Scoop.it. Both tools have practical and useful features. 

First, Diigo helps users to collect a wide range of information easily from the web browsers, iPads, iPhones, etc. 



As the logo of two people facing each other hand in hand shows above, it provides an easy-to-use social bookmarking function and readily interconnects people with each other in the digital world. 
 
Users can take notes on the webpage while reading online using a sticky note and retain the webpage using a digital highlight tool for reading later or future reference. Also, they can easily find bookmarked articles or pages later using multiple tags from the archives of cloud-based information managing space My library. Besides, Diigo users can follow others whose interest areas are similar, or be followed by them. For more information, users can watch the Diigo video tutorial as follows:  




Next, Scoop.it.provides users with a good tool to create their own topics and curate social media contents under each topic using Scoop.it. Bookmarklet. As for various Scoop.it. features, I can post my insights about the articles or webpages and comments copying and pasting from the original article with multiple tags. Also, other users visiting my website can post their comments on my scooped or rescooped webpages. Similar to Diigo users, Scoop.it. users can follow others and vice versa. What's more, suggestions are offered for related articles or webpages under the curated topics. As you can see from the image of the Scoop.it. website below, this convenient and time-saving suggestions button directly links users to the relevant websites or webpages without efforts to search for pertinent information. 




To sum up, both Diigo and Scoop.it. have their own unique functions and advantages. I think it is a wise way to use each tool depending on the situation and purpose. If I am asked to choose only one of the two, however,I will say that Diigo is more convenient and comes in handy for me because I prefer taking the whole in one view neatly to being distracted by the different-sized columns full of too many images and letters. Also, I love a sticky-note and digital highlight tool for reading later in a short time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the detailed comparison and for pointing out the two people in the Diigo logo. I had never noticed that!

    ReplyDelete